Programme of Events | Membership | Publications | Editorial Board | Officers | Library |  Medieval Graffiti Survey  
Hampshire Field Club logo
Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society
Registered Charity number 243773     Homepage | Archaeology | Historic Buildings  |  Hampshire Papers  | Landscape | Local History   
" "

St James, Bramley

St James' church has a plain, brick built, exterior. The earliest parts date from around 1180 as shown by Norman windows. There is a later, Elizabethan, window in the nave and a brick tower, of 1636-40, on the west side. The porch dates from 1806. The church was 'restored' in the 19th century by G G Soane Jun, 1877-8, and Temple Moore, 1884-91. (Source: Hampshire: Winchester and the North (The Buildings of England) 2010)

Photographs, taken by members of the Medieval Graffiti Survey, are shown below.

Each image is linked to a larger version; to see the larger version it may be necessary to allow 'pop-ups'.

South front of St James, Bramley   Consecration cross   Incised circle   Initials - TB
The south front   A consecration cross   Incised circle with wall painting   Initials - T B
Initials and date   Pencil drawn figure   VV with name    
Initials with date   A pencil drawn sketch   VV with name Thoms