Programme of Events | Membership | Publications | Editorial Board | Officers | Library |  Medieval Graffiti Survey  
Hampshire Field Club logo
Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society
Registered Charity number 243773     Homepage | Archaeology | Historic Buildings  |  Hampshire Papers  | Landscape | Local History   
" "

St Leonard, Bursledon

The church was founded by the monks of Hamble priory in the 12th C. The chancel arch dates to the 13th C, and the nave’s walls are medieval with blocked doorways to the N and S. The church was restored 1889-90, and the transepts added. A half-timbered belfry and elaborate wooden porch were also added at this time. The church contains a fine 12th c font with an intersecting arcade pattern containing pilasters and decorative capitals.

No graffiti was found inside the building. Externally, graffiti was found on the N walls of the chancel and nave. There was a shield on the E side of the N chancel window. The stone work on the W side had been replaced.

Each image is linked to a larger version; to see the larger version it may be necessary to allow 'pop-ups'.

Exterior of St Leanards   North chancel window   Shield on window   Initials & date   Blocked doorway
The exterior from the north west   North chancel window.   A shield on the E side of the N chancel window   A blocked doorway into the nave next to the N transept had initials and a date, 1745, on stones on the E surround.   The shield on the east side of the north chancel window.

The site was visited on 16th September 2017 by Karen Wardley and Karen Parker.