Programme of Events | Membership | Publications | Editorial Board | Officers | Library |  Medieval Graffiti Survey  
Hampshire Field Club logo
Hampshire Field Club & Archaeological Society
Registered Charity number 243773     Homepage | Archaeology | Historic Buildings  |  Hampshire Papers  | Landscape | Local History   
" "

St Maurice, Winchester

St Maurice, Winchester - Exterior View

This was an important medieval parish church with a central position on the High St, close to the cathedral. It may have served as a gate chapel to the New Minster precinct. It was demolished in 1840, apart from the tower, which was then heavily repaired. A new church was built, which in turn was demolished in the 1950s. The surviving tower has a Norman archway set into it on the N side. There is pedestrian access to the west of the tower, from the High St south to Market Lane.

The tower now functions as the fire escape for Debenhams, and access can be obtained via the store. No floors remain within the tower, and a metal staircase runs from the top floor of the store to ground level. Blocked windows and door openings can be seen in the structure, and the walls are of stone and flint. There are many reused stones visible, some are worked, including 2 heads, and some bear inscriptions, including that to Thomas Vinni, dated 171?. Other incised marks and initials were found, both inside the tower, and on the exterior, around the N and S doorways.

Photographs, taken by members of the Medieval Graffiti Survey, are shown below. Each image is linked to a larger version; to see the larger version it may be necessary to allow 'pop-ups'.

St Maurice, roof   St Maurice, archway   incised marks
Members of the HMGP on the roof.   Searching for graffiti.   Incised marks
inscription   Thomas Vinni inscription   inscription
Inscription   Thomas Vinni inscription   A heavily-defaced inscription.

Survey visit 15.2.2017.

Surveyors: Karen Wardley, Karen Parker, Nicola Turton,  Alan Turton.